cromctf.com

CROM - Quake3 Community
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:54 am 

Proposed Solutions to Adminless Griefing

Problem: callvote abuse - Players connect with up to 5 simultaneous instances and callvote maps toggling between each instance to vote.
Solution: Limit client flooding to 1 instance.

Problem: shuffle_teams on FFA - Players can callvote shuffle_teams on FFA server which serves no purpose except to be annoying and increase the cooldown before anyone can initiate another callvote request.
Solution: Remove shuffle_teams as an option from FFA callvote.

Problem: suicide abuse - Players grief others by attacking them then killing themselves before they can be fragged. They do this repeatedly the entire game.
Solution: Limit /kill command to 3 times per minute.

Problem: aim botting - Players use aim bots blatantly and shamelessly gunning down other players.
Solution: Detect when a player's accuracy is consistently above a certain threshold (90%?) and auto kick them.

Ignore System Enhancements
The ignore command is probably Crom's greatest feature. However, I have a few suggestions I think would make it even better.

1. When initiating ignore of another player, broadcast "Player x has ignored player y (ID #)."
This makes it clear to everyone without any subterfuge that a person has ignored someone, also it gives other players a chance to see their ID so they can ignore them quickly if they want.

2. When initiating unignore of another player, broadcast "Player x has unignored player y (ID #)."
This makes it clear to everyone without any subterfuge that a person has unignored someone. I believe it would also help remove the temptation of pretending to ignore someone and eavesdropping.

3. Make ignore work both ways. If player x ignores player y, don't let player y see player x's chats either.
People like to keep taunting after they ignore someone. This helps prevent adding more fuel to the fire.

4. Make ignore also work based on GUID (e.g. /ignoreguid a1b2c3d4).
This way players can bind ignoring someone's guid without having to look up their player ID. Since implementing a permanent ignore is probably too much to ask for this at least makes it more convenient to ignore repeat offenders.
*edit* If you implemented a user cvar of delimited GUIDs the server could automatically ignore them for you without having to store anything.

5. Add ignore all and unignore all command.
This would give the option for people to basically suppress/unsuppress all chat if they wanted.

6. Make ignore change the ignored players name to "[ignored]" for the other player.
This would make ignore 100% effective since trolling players that are ignored like to change their name to keep taunting the other player.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:46 am 

Thank you Batman - These are all excellent suggestions and when implemented will improve the gaming experience for all honest players. Things get out of control quickly with all the trolls, cheats and idiots that come to CROM, and this will help immeasurably. I would suggest that for the following:

Problem: suicide abuse - Players grief others by attacking them then killing themselves before they can be fragged. They do this repeatedly the entire game.
Solution: Limit /kill command to 3 times per minute.

The solution should be outright ban on suicide abuse. Only players that are trying to limit the success of other players do this.
There have been several occasions where the game is tied and someone about to be fragged will suicide to prevent a particular player from winning. So even a single suicide can be complete crap. I really see no need for this feature for honest players trying to win.

Stank

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:29 pm 

Stank you are right on the money.

There are players that do this stuff in CROM, by killing them self over and over again in the server. And i know one guy who does it the most, his name is PLAYERZ.... that guy kills him self every time you go to frag him.. So Stank yes this would be great idea.

Alcatraz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:40 pm 

First and Foremost I am with you on the kill/Suicide thing. BUT, there are those (Not me, in fact not many) Who if Tied for lead with a frag or 2 to go will Suicide if going to be killed by the other person that is tied with them. But I am Pretty much okay with that. Because I'm sure it is "possible" to go 2 frags down and get those 2 frags before the other person gets the one needed. Likely ? Probably not more often than. But someone who is not in contention using /kill because they don't want THAT person to win, that actually does suck. But something we have to deal with, nature of the beast. The person who does that, and does it alot, could be kicked and warned for a bit. But the kick/ban on something like 3 suicides in one minute,That is ONE of my suggestions too, so it's a GREAT IDEA! heh.