cromctf.com

CROM - Quake3 Community
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Maps...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:52 pm 

DM2, DM10, DM11 are the ones that everyone leave on. Tourney2 is OK but i'd rather have the pro version of the map. OverKill would be awesome just put a notation in the server like the settings to tell people to download it from the website. (Easy)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:46 am 

Yeah, hey, I have a suggestion... on this... whole map issues debaccle...
Add in all baseq3 FFA maps that are big enough to hold 4 to 16 players available to be callvoted on, even if they are not used in rotation.

ALSO I know from experience that CROM FFA will sometimes skip from q3dm9 to q3dm13 over q3dm12 if there are fewer players on.
Which would seem to imply their server mod can handle OSP-styled minimum/maximum player conditions for whether a map will be loaded or omitted in sequential map rotations.

As it stands their map rotation is as follows.
No maps outside of rotation may be callvoted on.
pro-q3tourney4
q3dm3
q3dm4
q3dm5
pro-q3dm6
q3m7
q3tourney3
q3dm9
q3dm12, minimm players is somewhere around 4, I swear, that it's about that much
q3dm13
q3dm14
q3dm15
q3dm16
q3dm17

My suggestion HERE is to make the map rotation as is follows HERE.
Maps outside of the rotation to be callvoted on: q3tourney6, q3tourney5, ztn3tourney1, overkill, pro-q3tourney2
q3tourney3, minimum of 4 players, maximum of 8 players
q3dm3, maximum of 8 players
q3dm2, maximum of 4 players
q3dm5, maximum of 8 players
pro-q3tourney4
q3dm12, minimum of 4 players
q3dm11, minimum of 8 players, maximum of 16 players
q3dm10, minimum of 8 players, maximum of 16 players
pro-q3dm6
q3dm8, minimum of 8 players, maximum of 16 players
q3m7
q3m4
q3dm13
q3dm9
q3dm14
q3dm15
q3dm18, minimum of 4 players, maximum of 6 players
q3dm19, minimum of 8 players, maximum of 16 players
q3dm16
q3dm17

By capping minimum and maximum players this way it should greatly reduce the effect of 'losing players' from maps that are more generally disliked...
and yet still allow them to be played for those who want them. And that's 20 maps, a nice, round number, 25 if you count callvote ones.
Having q3dm8 there should help prevent a 'bottleneck effect' in the types of players that stay after the 'OMGWTFQ3DM6BBQ' effect from q3dm6 being on...
Having q3dm18 and q3dm19 should reduce the 'OH NO it's coming up gotta get in server fast! ' effect when the space maps come on... reduce strain... smooth out player dsitributions a bit...
Having q3dm12 right after pro-q3tourney4 should help build player connects not to be lost too quickly before 'the gothic maps before the space maps' thanks to q3dm11 and q3dm10...
and finally this placements of more popular maps alongside similarly structured and textured and oriented less popular maps is itself balanced out by the aforementioned 'player count' limits.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:44 pm 

M0NK3Y wrote:
Here here. I also would like to see Overkill in rotation , But the problem with that is newer players won't have it. Some might not have Auto-DL on or knwo about it....

+1 Overkill is one of the best FFA maps IMO. If this could be added it would be awesome.